"...Well hey there everyone. How are you all doing?... This week we've had quite a few changes here on the mish. As you all already knew, Elder Moretti left this morning to go home. Sunday afternoon the LZs called me and told me that they (finally!) knew who my new comp would be. He got here this morning. His name's Elder Halgren and he's from Montana. Yup, after like 6 months I'm finally with another American. I haven't had time to get to know him really well yet but from what I've learned he's a pretty chill dude. He's got about 6 months on the mish and he studied at BYU for a year before he came here. He's also about as tall as I am, played Tight End, and likes guns and hunting. He also brought with him peanut butter, gravy mix, and a cake mix with frosting. Yeah, we're totally going to tear it up down here.
...During this week, not much very interesting happened. The most exciting thing of the week is Elder Moretti going home. I have to say, at times it was a little annoying when he got trunky but he worked until the very last day and he was a very good companion... I got a little trunky when he kept talking about going home and the things he would do and his first day as an RM but I nipped that in the bum and re-dedicated myself to the work and now with a new comp we're totally going to tear it up... We're going to have to knock a lot of doors and talk to everyone to get our teaching pool back in shape. We have an excellent investigator, L, who prayed and received a witness that The Book of Mormon is true and wants to follow the witness... Its pretty frustrating when you see someone who wants to do the right thing but the people close to them won't let them follow the Gospel. Keep her in your prayers please...
...We had another interesting experience yesterday. One of the members in another ward runs an English School and he asked us gringos if we wouldn't mind coming and speaking English with the students and helping them out. Its a great missionary and service opportunity so of course we accepted. They stuck each gringo with a group of five or so Brazilians and we sat there and spoke English with them and talked to them about the gospel. It was actually really difficult to speak English. My mind is 100% Portuguese right now. I think in Portuguese, I dream in Portuguese, right now I'm translating from Portuguese to English. When I sat down with them what I wanted to do was of course speak Portuguese, so it was a little difficult to switch gears like that and speak just English, but after a while I adapted and was speaking more naturally. It was also a great missionary opportunity because we all spoke a lot about baptism and the Book of Mormon and if they wanted the missionaries to pass by and share a message with them... I had one lady ask me if Mormons believe in heaven so I basically taught the Second lesson to them (its really weird teaching in English). Another time a lady asked me what was the difference between us and the other religions of the world and I was about to launch into a First Lesson but the teacher said it was time to switch. I was very bummed. Then, at the end, they gave us DONUTS!!!!!!!!!!! That's right, those delicious, sugary, lard-soaked rings of heaven. I was in heaven, along with the rest of the Americans. It was amazing...
...But yeah , that was pretty much my week, speaking English ... giant spider attack (The sucker was huge! Like 3 inches!!!!!!) baptisms, and lots of work. I love being a missionary. We're totally tearing it up down here and we're going to keep the trend going. This will be the first week in like 4 weeks that we haven't had a baptism... but we're going to get out there and find more of the Elect and get them into the water. I love it here, I love being a missionary, I love the Gospel, I love the Book of Mormon, and I love my Savior Jesus Cristo. I know that this is the Lord's work and that I'm right where I'm supposed to be. I love you all and pray for your success and everything that you are doing. Keep up the good work on the other side of the world."
-Elder Marx
No comments:
Post a Comment