Well howdily doodily family! How are you all doing? How are the new parents? How are the new grandparents? The new uncle here is pretty dang excited about having a nephew and being an uncle. Do you want more little brasil outfits for him? Now that I'm back in the big city I can actually do that... Who liked General Conference? I kinda have a feeling that when I get back I'm going to have to get married and pretty dang quick lol. But enough talking about mawwage. How is my little nephew? I want more details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This week was a pretty interesting week. Let's start with the day that we were out working and we stopped in the chapel to use the bathroom when we left we saw that they horizon was getting pretty dark so we figured it was going to rain. No biggie, right. So we keep on with our work and we look up at the sky again and its black. Pitch black. Seriously, most ominous thing I've ever seen in my life. It was like 4 or 5 at night and it was as dark as 9 at night. So we start hauling back to the chapel because its the only place close where we would be able to escape the rain and the clouds keep getting closer and closer. As we get in the chapel the rain drops start to fall and it started to POUR. Seriously, I've never seen it rain so much in my life. It was stronger than monsoon season, it was stronger than that time I sat out with Derek and Michael in a hot tub during a hurricane that time we were in Florida, it was stronger than those disaster movies. It was REDONKULOUS! And it kept up for like 45 minutes until it started to clear up and move on. When we left there was no power anywhere. All the power in our part of the city was out, including one of the largest bus stations in the city. It was anarchy. No traffic lights, no street lights, no nuthin. So we went around to all of our appointments and taught a couple of them in candle light (which was actually kinda cool) and finally made it back to our house, which of course had no power as well. So we got to plan by candlelight, take cold showers (the shower heads here are electric) and wait for power to come back- which it didn't until the next day.
But so, the next day we were walking and I wasn't looking where I was stepping and I stepped on a manhole cover. No big deal, right? Well, as it turns out, when it rained it rained so much that the lines overflowed and knocked the manhole cover loose. So when I stepped on the manhole cover it flipped open and down went bubba into the manhole. I was really lucky because only my leg went into the hole and I managed to catch myself and not fall in completely. However, as it turned out, this line was a sewage line, and it was completely full. Yup, I fell directly into raw sewage. Yeah, I still shudder thinking about it. My leg that fell into the hole was completely soaked up to my thigh in the nastiest stuff that I don't care to describe. It was horrible. So my comp helped me pull myself out of the hole and I looked down and my leg was soaked and covered in nastiness and so we got to walk back to the house where I could wash off and change my clothes. We're lucky that it was close to our house because if not it would have been the longest walk of my life. So out landlady is super chill and she took all my ruined clothes and managed to wash them so that they can be used again but still, no doubt, worst experience of my mission so far. One I don't care to repeat any time soon.
But yeah, that was the most exciting (if you want to call it that) thing that happened this week. The work is going pretty dang well right now. we have 5 firm baptismal dates for this Sunday and we're doing everything we can to get them excited and ready for baptism. With luck and lots of blessings from the Lord, they'll all be baptized and it will be wonderful. I love being a missionary! I love being an uncle even though my nephew is on the other side of the world! I love doing the Lord's work and seeing the changes that happen in people's lives and how the Gospel truly blesses and brings peace into their lives. This really is the Lord's work and I love it. I hope you all have a wonderful week and that little Bronson learns and grows and that Mom and Dad learn to adjust and take care of the little tyke and that he will start sleeping the whole night. Keep up all the great things that you are doing and keep helping the missionaries! I love you all!
-Elder Marx
No comments:
Post a Comment